Video in Email? Here is What You Need to Know
Video is becoming one of the most important content formats online for many reasons, it’s easier to consume for users, it offers many opportunities for great distribution, it allows your brand to be more human, it’s a great way to implement storytelling in your content strategy.
On the other hand, we have email, still the most effective communication vehicle to date and probably the biggest driver of ROI.
The question now is, should you use video in your email marketing campaigns?
Why you should consider using video in emails
- 55% increase in click-through rates
- 44% more time spent reading emails
- 41% more email sharing and forwarding
- 24% increase in conversion rates
And Email Monks says video email offers a return 280% higher than traditional email.
But, how do you include video in your email marketing?
There are 3 options:
Plays inside the actual email
Embedding a video means it will play right inside the email, the user never leaves the inbox, which is convenient.
This is accomplished with the use of HTML5, and one thing you have to consider is that only 58% of the recipients will be able to play the video, the other 42% will see a fallback image. This is because this is a technology that is not yet compatible with all email clients.
Email clients that support video:
- iOS devices
- Apple Mail
- Thunderbird 13
Email clients that do NOT support video:
According to Litmus, Gmail opens increased 243% from November 2013 to February 2014, and it’s by far the biggest player in webmail. Gmail not supporting video is something you’ll have to consider carefully.
Using a GIF
Yes, GIFs are all the rage at the moment. People seem to love them and brands use them as a great storytelling weapon in their marketing efforts.
Another reason to use GIFs is to indicate that you are linking to a video. You can even use one of the many GIF generator tools that turn your video into a GIF.
But other than that, it’s pretty much the same as using a static image, it’s purpose is to link to a video at a different location.
The good thing about GIFs is that it is supported by more email clients. Here is a list of the email clients (Desktop, Web and Mobile) that support GIFs (Source: Litmus)
Here are some tools you can use to create a GIF from a video:
And the last option is using a static image with a link to the video location, this is safer of course because most email clients support images. Here is an example from a recent campaign I sent, which is nothing but a screenshot of the YouTube video player, linking to the blog post.
When you link out of the inbox, you can send that traffic to:
- A page on your website, a blog post page or a landing page
- Or a video sharing network like YouTube or Vimeo
Which method should you use?
- 29% of successful marketers link to a video landing page
- 23% use the video embed method
- 21% link to a video sharing network like YouTube
I think this is the best process at the moment:
- Use a static image or GIF in your email to link out of the inbox
- Send the traffic to your own web property, not a network
And here are my reasons why:
- I don’t want to send out anything only part of my subscribers or followers are going to be able to experience as I intended
- You have no control of the email client on your recipient’s computer. You have no idea of their settings
- You don’t know how many distractions are sharing the screen with your video
- You can’t optimize for conversion if you are inside your recipient’s inbox or if you are on YouTube
You should always aim to send your prospect to a property you own and have full control of, where you can eliminate distractions, add calls-to-action, add or remove the sidebar if you want… you get the picture.
If you are sending traffic to a landing page, you can set the video to auto play as soon as the user lands on the page. Under any other circumstances auto-play will not be cool, but remember, this person is expecting a video to start playing.
Does your Email Service Provider support video embeds?
It would be crazy to do step-by-step tutorials for each one of the email service providers, so I’m using this part of the post as a resources section to provide links to different services:
And here is how to embed Wistia videos in your emails.
Wanna get a bit more technical?
Here are some more resources, these are tutorials on how to deal with HTML5 embeds and other technical stuff…
Infographic by Email Monks
Source:Video Email Infographic
Infographic by GetResponse
"Onde Quando e Como eu Quiser"
subscreve ✅ http://bit.ly/ONDEQUANDOCOMO